Subscribe via email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Beautiful Ruffled Flowers Tutorial

I do a lot of blog surfing and reading/viewing on official Stampin' Up! websites. I always want to learn new and creative things that I can pass on to all of you and also teach in my classes. I really think these flowers are going to be one of my favorite creations (thank you again Mercy Kerin for showing me how to make them).

The two middle flowers were made using 1 piece of holiday themed designer series paper from our main catalog. The paper is called Merry Moments, item #1156672. The top and bottom flowers were made from 1 piece of paper from the Designer Series Paper Stack - Sweet Pea, item #117161 and is in the Occasions Mini Catalog. The paper stack 2 pages each of 24 double-sided designs that are 12" x 12". What a great value.

Stampin' Up! Products Used:
Designer Series Paper Stack - Sweet Pea, item #117161 - use 1 sheet 12" x 12"
Scallop Circle Paper Punch, item #109043
Paper Piercing Tool, item #116631
Mat Pack, item #105826
Jumbo Brads - 5/16" Neutrals, item #112534


All ready to go ... 1 sheet of 12" x 12" paper, plus the Scallop Circle Punch.
(NOTE: Circle punch was accidentally put in this photo. It is NOT used in this project)

Using the Scallop Circle Paper Punch, punch out 10 scallop circles. Set them all facing with the same designs facing up.
(NOTE: You can make 2 flowers out of 1 sheet of 12 x 12 paper, so for the 2nd flower I usually have the opposite side design facing up. It will change the look of the flowers and help to make each one unique.)

Start making random folds in the scallop circles until you have them as tiny as possible. When complete unfold the pieces of paper. The folding helps to break down the paper fibers giving your flowers texture and flexibility.


Stack the ten scallops circles on top of each other, randomly placing the scallops but keeping the circles as centered as possible.

Using your paper piercing tool and the mat pack (foam piece with hard mat on the bottom), pierce a hole in the very center of the scallops circles being sure to go all the way thru all 10 layers.
Keep all 10 layers tightly together as you push thru the brad and secure it. You will find that the mid-size brads works really well with this technique rather than the smaller size standard size brads.


The above two photos represent how you will fold and bring in each layer. Work each of the 10 layers one at a time, folding and crimping as you go along. As you work, you will see the flower start taking shape. It does become a bit more difficult to fold and crimp as you get to the bottom layers, but it is doable.


When you finish, you can leave the flower as is or gently open the layers to give a fuller blossom.


These flowers have dimensions to them and definitely would need a padded envelope if you were going to put them on a card. I think they would look magnificent as an accent to a gift box or bag, the top of a container or added to a journal.

If you want to give them a bit more glitz, spray them with the Shimmer Mist (click HERE for the tutorial).

Mary
http://marydirector.stampinup.net/
Stampin' Up! -- Discover Your Creativity
(On-line ordering now available thru my website)

13 comments:

Unknown said...

Your flowers are beautiful. You had me fooled ... I thought they were made of fabric. Great tutorial! I will have to give these a whirl

Anonymous said...

very pretty., i too thought they were fabric

Jen Timko said...

I love the idea of spritzing with shimmer paint!! Great pictures!

Pinklady50 said...

Oh, beautiful! This would look great with different shades of the same color too!

Snowmanlover said...

These are gorgeous, Mary!!

scootingranny said...

Thank you so much for this tutorial. I used your method on this invitation, just not as many layers since the flowers were so little. thanks for your help!!

http://www.cricut.com/messageboard/tm.aspx?m=6180185

JulieHRR said...

Mary, I just wanted to thank you for sharing this fabulous tutorial--I can't wait to make some of these flowers!

Joan B said...

Thanks so much. this looks doable and I have the product!

Anthonette said...

Thanks for the flower tutorial! JulieHRR "tweeted" about your flowers. I've made these with 5 scallop circles before, but I'll have to try your method.

Dolores~CraftyD's Creations said...

Gorgeous flowers, I've tried these and they are so fun to make.
Thanks for sharing.

Shazza said...

fabulous flowers
x

Beverly said...

Thank you so much for this! You inspired my June stamp club project, which I am very pleased with. I uploaded it to Stampin' Connection, the first time I've done that, too, LOL. It's titled "Decorated Brad Box."

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing your paper flowers. Just did one using a scallop circle punch. So easy with your directions. Signed up for your emails.

You May Also Like:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin