Subscribe via email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Sunday, January 31, 2010

How to Make Shimmer Mist Tutorial

Shimmer Mist ... here's a quick and easy way to make your own at home using Stampin' Up! Shimmer Paint, tiny bottles of Hand Sanitizer, and an eye dropper.

Before we get started, I want you to be aware that our Shimmer Paint is NOT in any of the catalogs but is STILL available. I used Champagne Mist Shimmer Paint in my tutorial as I really like the gold glitter in it. I know other demonstrators have made the mist using the Frost White and also the Platinum with great success. Here is the product information for you:

Champagne Mist Shimmer Paint, item # 116806, $5.95 (gold - only one with glitter)
Frost White Shimmer Paint, item #116854, $5.95 (white)
Platinum Shimmer Paint, item #116807 (silver)


I purchased Walgreens brand hand sanitizer. It comes in individual packs for around $1.69 or packs of 5 for $4.99. You could use any brand you want, just be sure that the active ingredient is alcohol. In the Walgreen's brand the active ingredient is: Ethyl Alcohol 62%. I like this brand too as it has a mild smell, not over powering.


Products you will need:
Hand Sanitizer
Eye Dropper (use for this project only) - some pharmacies will "give" you an eye dropper.
Shimmer Paint from Stampin' Up! - color of your choice
Plastic Cup
Water


Directions:
Unscrew the top of the hand sanitizer and pour out a small amount (this will not be used).
Drop in 5 to 7 drops of shimmer paint into the hand sanitizer.
Screw lid back on.
Shake extremely well before misting. If there is paint showing on the bottom of the hand sanitizer bottle, you need to shake it more.
Put some water in a plastic cup and clean the eye dropper so that all the shimmer paint is removed. May need to do a couple of times.

Use some type of container with sides to it, this will prevent the mist from spraying on things other than your project.
I line the container with paper towels, set my item on the towels, then spray.

When spraying, don't be concerned if you see water spots or rolling of the paper. This is normal and the spots will dry and fade PLUS the paper will flatten out as it dries. Just don't over saturate the product with the mist. Allow items to dry thoroughly before using. They will dry quickly.

What amazed me was how smooth the paper feels, not gritty like you would think glitter would feel. You really can change the look of a piece of paper or an project item by misting it.



When you make up your Shimmer Mist, be sure to take a marker and label the hand sanitizer so there is NO DOUBT in anyone's mind that it is NOT to be used to sanitize hands. If someone would accidentally use it on their hands, trust me they will be one sparkling person. I store my shimmer mist separately from the regular hand sanitizer and store the container vertically NOT horizontally like shown in the photo above.


The shimmer mist can be used on card stock, silk flowers, etc. All the sparkle in the photo above is from the mist that I made used Champagne Shimmer Paint.

Let me know if I can be of any help placing an order for you or you can order on-line thru my Stampin' Up! website.

Hope you enjoyed today's tutorial and that you have a "sparkling" day.


Mary
http://marydirector.stampinup.net/
Stampin' Up! -- Discover Your Creativity
(On-line ordering now available thru my website)

8 comments:

~BridgetL~ said...

what a clever idea. Thank you so much for showing us how to do this :) Need to make a Walmart run today so I will be picking up some of the hand sanitizers.

Anonymous said...

lv2scrap02

Wow you made it look very easy. Looking forward to trying this. Thanks so much for the how to's

Nancy

Anonymous said...

I love this idea!!! Have you tried coloring your mist with reinkers?? Would this work??

Nancy J. Baker
(not really anonymous huh??)

Mary Director said...

Nancy, I honestly don't know. I love the glitter and don't really want to add color to it, but I know many have. Try it and then come back and post results in the comments here.

Just remember to really shake the sanitizer with paint in it before using.

mawmaw2-4 said...

I just became a follower! I love your ideas!!! I am adding you to my favorites also!!! Thanks for sharing!!

reneeporter7@yahoo.com

Jeria said...

You are a genius. Thanks for sharing.
Jeria

Shazza said...

fab! I just got my paints and will be looking for hand snitisers tomorrow
x

Kay Kalthoff said...

Another neat idea!! I've used it with alcohal and had great results. I kind of forgot about this method of using the shimmer paint . . . this post was a good reminder! thanks, Mary!
Kay

You May Also Like:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin