Subscribe via email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Saturday, January 23, 2010

My Sister, Karen

My beloved sister, Karen, passed away yesterday in the early morning hours. She was such a fighter against her many health issues and inspiration to us all. She will be greatly missed, but will remain in my heart forever. She is now without pain or suffering, and that is such a blessing.

Karen and I have always been close and even tho we did not live close by each other we talked all the time (thank goodness for unlimited long distance calling plans). We shared the good and the not so good things in our lives knowing that the other was always there to listen.

Funny the things we remember. Last night I was telling Hal about the time when we were probably 5 and 7 that our Grandmother went to Hawaii and brought us back real grass skirts. We had an Oriental Cherry Blossom tree in our front yard and Karen, Joan (a friend) and I all made lais from the blossoms. We dressed up in our swimsuits, put on the lais and grass skirts and did the hula in the front yard. What a site we must of been, but what fun we had that day.

I remember one photo of the 3 of us kids (Karen, me, and Tom) sitting on a ladder that was up against the peach tree in our backyard. I'll have to see if I can find it. Oh how we loved mom's homemade peach pie and I can remember jars and jars of canned peaches in the basement. Karen's absolute favorite pie was lemon meringue. Oh how she loved to barbecue and eat outside on the picnic table.

Karen was so much like our Dad, she always kept busy with projects. I remember one visit she made to our home in CA. I got up and found my sister washing down walls in my kitchen. It wasn't that she thought I was a bad housekeeper, it was that she knew I couldn't do it myself at the time and she wanted something to do. Later in the week she painted our wrought iron fence that went around our yard. We often teased that we when we had a project that we were going to call her to come for a visit. Such energy, such drive.

I'm going to miss her laughter, her compassion, and our phone calls. Most of all I am going to miss her. She was such a wonderful part of my life. Memories of her will bring smiles to my heart. She was a very special person, and THE BEST SISTER ever.

Don't take your friends and family for granted. They are not here forever. Take time to save "I Love You" and to give hugs.

Mary
http://marydirector.stampinup.net/
Stampin' Up! -- Discover Your Creativity
(On-line ordering now available thru my website)

8 comments:

scrapn_momof2 said...

Oh Mary I am so sorry for your loss!! What beautiful memories you have of your sister. My thoughts are with you and your family.

Amy said...

So sorry to hear of your loss! I love how you choose to remember all the good things you and your sister shared. I'm not sure if I would be strong enough...you truly are an inspiration. I'll be sending prayers your way!

Susan said...

My heartfelt condolences. My sister is my best friend too and I know I would miss her terribly. Prayers for God's comfort at this time.

Snowmanlover said...

Oh Mary, I am crying. I am so glad you have such wonderful memories. Thanks for taking us down your sweet memory lane. I am glad she is without pain now.

Stampin' Diva said...

Mary, so sorry to hear about your loss. I will keep you and your family in my prayers

Nita's World Handmade said...

Mary, words can not express my sorrow for you. I am so sorry to hear that your sister passed away and you are in my prayers. If you need a shoulder, you know that my shoulders are "always" here for you.

Anonymous said...

So sorry for your loss. You are in my thoughts and prayers

Ladybug said...

Mary, I am so sorry for your loss. You and your family will be in my thoughts and prayers.

You May Also Like:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin